The following lists show what payment gateways support level III data and whether or not the gateway is independent of the merchant account. Input from readers is welcome.
Where a check is indicated, the merchant can send level III data without any special programming or integration (except API). However, a merchant might achieve level 3 processing in another category by using an API.
|PAYMENT GATEWAY||RETAIL||MOTO/ virtual terminal||ECOMMERCE shopping cart||EBPP||ONLINE PAYMENTS(hosted pay page)||Token Billing (recurring)||API (ERP and other solutions)||MERCHANT
BEST B2B gateway for versatility
|Payflow Pro ***|
|3Delta Systems (3DSI)|
|First Data Global Gateway|
|Heartland Payment Systems, Inc.|
Certification to processors, including level 3 processing:
- CenPOS: First Data (FDC Nashville), Chase Paymentech, Vantiv, TYSYS*
- authorize.net: Chase Paymentech, FDC Compass, FDC Nashville Global , GPN, Litle, RBS WorldPay Atlanta, TSYS
- Payflow Pro: Cielo, First Data (FDMS), Heartland, Litle, Paymentech Salem, Paymentech Tampa, Securenet, TYSYS
- Paytrace: TSYS, Paymentech Tampa, Global East, Heartland, and Trident.
* Think of TYSYS as a hub that provides access for transactions (traffic via payment gateway) to many highways (processors). By going through the hub, a payment gateway can securely connect to many processors (Global, Heartland, First Data etc) with one certification. Some merchants may incur a per transaction fee for using a payment gateway that connects via TYSYS; this may or may not be additional to fees already being paid.
** January 2014 Authorize.net update http://apps.cybersource.com/library/documentation/dev_guides/Level_2_3_SO_API/Level_II_III_SO_API.pdf (pg 10)
*** 2/28/2014 Payflow Pro https://www.paypalobjects.com/webstatic/en_US/developer/docs/pdf/payflowgateway_guide.pdf
DISCLAIMER: If the information was unclear or not available, the field was left blank to err on the side of caution. Contact processors or payment gateway providers for specific details about availability and functionality. 3D Merchant Services is an authorized reseller for authorize.net and CenPOS, in addition to other services.
MOTO: mail order, telephone order. This is a transaction indicator code for card not present transactions.
EBPP: electronic bill presentment & payment. A merchant delivers an electronic invoice to their customers. The customer then pays the invoice electronically.
LEVEL III data or level 3 data: refers to the additional field data sent for processing Visa and MasterCard business, corporate and purchasing cards.
LEVEL III data or level 3 processing: refers to a merchant account that supports the acceptance of level 3 data and passes the data onto the issuers
What’s the difference between level 3 and level III? Nothing. In 2014, and recent documents, interchange rates are more frequently referred to as level 3. However, in older documentation and marketing materials, the requirements and other items referred to it as level III.
It’s critical to note that the CAPABILITY of sending level 3 data via a payment gateway, does NOT guarantee that the transaction will qualify for level 3 interchange rates. There are many rules, and how the gateway helps a merchant meet those rules varies widely. For a free consultation on key operational differences between level III gateways, contact us.
Article feedback is appreciated!