American Express SafeKey® leverages the global industry standard, 3-D Secure®*, to detect and reduce online fraud by adding an extra layer of security when Card Members shop online. Merchant and customer experience answers in this article.
American Express SafeKey
How does Amex SafeKey impact the customer shopping experience? The cardholder may have some or no difference in the checkout experience, based on many factors, including prior online shopping history. The cardholder may be asked authentication question(s) to confirm it’s really the cardholder.
How does Amex SafeKey impact merchants?
- Fraud liability for “It wasn’t me, I didn’t authorize it” goes away as liability shifts back to the issuer.
- For business to business, where cardholder billing and shipping address frequently vary, cardholder authentication plays an important role not available with four digit CID security code validation only.
- At this writing, American Express merchants do not receive a specific interchange discount as may be available with other card brands.
How can merchants adopt the Amex SafeKey service?
- Enroll your company on the American Express web site. https://network.americanexpress.com/globalnetwork/safekey/us/en/merchants-acquirers
- Receive e-mail from SafeKey Certification Team with your SafeKey ID and next steps.
- SafeKey Certification Team gets approval from Acquirer.
- Acquirer and SafeKey Certification Team complete required setup.
- Activate 3-D Secure on the application. (Ecommerce shopping cart, payment gateway, or ERP.) Both payment gateway and application must support the service.
* 3-D Secure is a registered trademark of Visa International Service Association in the United States and other countries.
Have a question about how to add to your business? Contact CenPOS global sales and integrations reseller, Christine Speedy, 954-942-0483 for more information.