Breaking down why the Payware announcement at ETA 2012 in Las Vegas left attendees unimpressed.
NEW Complete Solution to Help You Succeed in Mobile Payments
PAYware Mobile’s Secure Audio Reader Launches at ETA 2012
PAYware Mobile’s secure audio reader made its debut at the 2012 ETA Annual Meeting & Expo. PAYware Mobile is VeriFone’s payment solution for smart devices that allows merchants to accept payments wherever and whenever they do business.
With PAYware Mobile’s new secure audio reader, merchants can now swipe a card and capture a signature and email receipts – with security and reliability – so they never have to miss another sales opportunity.
Easily and conveniently accepts credit card and signature based debit card transactions – simply insert audio reader into an audio jack
Perfect for today’s popular smart devices – compatible with iOS, Android and BlackBerry operating systems
Allows account administrators to activate, manage and even deactivate gateway access of devices that are lost or stolen
Saves time and reduces transaction fees with swiped, card present transactions
Eliminates manual entry errors and reduces deposit slips and printed receipts
Let’s also add these excerpts from official 12/2012 Payware sales literature.
- How is PAYware Mobile different from other solutions out there? …”Merchants trust and rely on VeriFone”…”allow the customer to sign their name on iPhone’s screen”…”integrated capacitive stylus”
Is any of this really ground-breaking different? I think not. I’ll give them credit for their other efforts in retail, however, this is just another ‘me too’ solution. In fact, after the event I attended a conference call in which an executive from a large ISO summed it up by saying, ‘pretty much everyone was offering ME TOO products’. The one exception was, you guessed it, CenPOS.
Keeping on task with the Payware mobile solution comparison, here are some advantages of CenPOS Mobile vs Payware Mobile:
- Only CenPOS mobile optimizes payments to qualify transactions for lower interchange rates, the bulk of credit card processing fees.
- Only CenPOS mobile has automated switching for retail/Moto presentment so merchants can mitigate risk of lost disputes.
- Only CenPOS mobile stores 7 years receipts, including with signature.
- Only CenPOS mobile enables merchants to securely store payment data for future recurring or repeat sale needs.
- Only CenPOS mobile supports ‘supervisor approval’ so a remote administrator can override a transaction from another.
Both services offer:
- Hosted payment processing
- Remote user management
- Multi-environment support: CenPOS has one hub for mobile, retail, kiosk, online, ecommerce. I’m not sure how Payware works with that, but they do support multi channel sales.
- Tablet POS
GlobalBay, acquired by Verifone offers a wizard driven environment for scripting. I haven’t seen, so cannot comment, but it sounds good. They also offer inventory management, retailing, and a ‘clienteling’ suite for additional fees.
CenPOS offers API’s that can be customized to connect to ERP’s and other back end solutions. Essentially, a merchant can integrate one time, and then apply for any application need.They also offer a free open source POS, ERP, and ecommerce shopping cart.
Groundbreaking: CenPOS supports Level 3 data in both retail and MOTO. It’s not supported on mobile yet.