The official Mastercard chargeback reason codes as of May 2009 are available in PDF form. Some excerpts of the more common codes and their reasons follow:
chargeback Reason Code 4801 Requested Transaction Data Not Received
Proper Use of Message Reason Code 4801
The issuer may charge back the amount of the requested item using message reason code 4801 if it did not receive an original, substitute draft, or copy of a transaction information document (TID) within 30 calendar days following the Central Site Business Date of the Retrieval Request/1644-603 message. … For example, if a cardholder requested a copy of the transaction information document for his or her records…
Chargeback Message Reason Code 4808 Requested/Required Authorization Not Obtained
The issuer may charge back a transaction under this message reason code if
one of the following circumstances occurs:
-The transaction was face-to-face, card-read or key-entered, occurred at a location with a POS device that had both online and magnetic stripe-read capability, and was not authorized.
– The transaction was non face-to-face and was not authorized.
– The transaction amount exceeded the floor limit established by MasterCard in effect at the time of purchase, and was not authorized.
-The authorization request was declined, even if the transaction was below the card acceptors floor limit.
– Technical fallback and CVM fallback transactions that were not authorized.
Chargeback Message Reason Code 4840â€”Fraudulent Processing of Transactions
This message reason code can be used if the cardholder states in a letter that:
– The cardholder or anyone authorized by the cardholder was still in possession and control of all valid cards at the time of the transaction, and
– The cardholder admits to at least one legitimate face-to-face transaction on Oct 2008 the same card at a given card acceptor location, but denies making one or more additional face-to-face transactions at that same card acceptor location. The chargeback must reflect the entire amount of the transaction in question.
EDITORS NOTE: Our CenPOS technology solution is available for pennies per transaction for retail stores. The signature capture retrieval provides instant access to the records you need to defend this type of chargeback if the consumer actually made all the charges. Additionally, with right processing solution, you can also manage all chargebacks from a simple control panel.
Chargeback Message Reason Code 4841Cancelled Recurring Transaction
-The card acceptor continued to bill a cardholder for a recurring transaction, such as bimonthly, monthly, and semiannual billings of insurance premium, computer service, or a book-of-the-month club, after receiving notification of cancellation from the cardholder or issuer.
Chargeback Message Reason Code 4842 Late Presentment
– More than seven calendar days after the transaction date and the transaction
was completed with electronically recorded card information (whether
card-read or key-entered); or
– More than 30 calendar days after the transaction date, and…
official Mastercard chargeback reason codes (link to MasterCard) See link under popular downloads for the latest release.
EDITORS NOTE: You can reduce chargebacks caused by fraud with full PCI Compliance, signature capture and additional anti-fraud protection both at the cashier level and with special online protections. If you have too many chargebacks that you feel were avoidable, please contact us for further consulting. The right tools make chargeback prevention and management much simpler. These range from free to pennies per transaction.