Do you accept fax order forms from your customers? Are you a business to business company needing to store credit card data on file for recurring billing of variable amounts? The typical fax authorization form does not meet Visa requirements.
Card Acceptance Guidelines for Visa Merchants link to Visa downloads.
You won’t find a “fax authorization form” in the guidelines, however, there is much information about receipt requirements.
2012 publication Transaction Receipt Requirements are referenced on page 495 and Recurring Transactions starts on pg 585. The guidelines vary depending on whether your recurring billing order is from an ecommerce or other method.
Sample of a receipt for a sale from a stored card transaction:
A fax order form for a one time purchase should comply with the standard receipt requirements. The invoice detail is generally accepted on a separate page for B2B; the invoice number should be on the receipt.
A recurring billing order form should comply with the recurring rules and standard receipt requirements.
Chargeback prevention tips for business to business, card not present:
- Deliver a receipt via email to the cardholder immediately upon charging the card. If there is going to be a dispute, resolve the issue quickly.
- Send an invoice detail.
- Use EBPP. If you send an electronic invoice to the cardholder and they click and pay, it’s pretty hard to dispute someone else ordered the items.
- Bill to and ship to addresses should match unless you have something in writing from the cardholder that they authorize shipping to another address.
- Get a signed recurring billing authorization form if you’re storing card data.
- Make sure your receipts have ‘recurring’ or ‘repeat sale’ for recurring billing.
- Sample of stored card data authorization to pay form, replacing a fax form.
There are too many variables to address all the options for a compliant fax authorization form in this article. For PCI DSS compliance, we recommend you replace all traditional forms with exposed credit card or check data with one that references tokens, an alpha numeric string that replaces the card data and is useless outside your payment processing system, even if stolen.
CenPOS is a universal payment processing platform that provides efficiencies for merchants and their customers, reduces PCI DSS compliance burden, and many other benefits.
WHERE TO BUY